Kubernetes in an open source container management tool hosted by Cloud Native Computing Foundation (CNCF). This is also known as the enhanced version of Borg which was developed at Google to manage both long running processes and batch jobs, which was earlier handled by separate systems.
Kubernetes comes with a capability of automating deployment, scaling of application, and operations of application containers across clusters. It is capable of creating container centric infrastructure.
Following are some of the important features of Kubernetes.
- Continues development, integration and deployment
- Containerized infrastructure
- Application-centric management
- Auto-scalable infrastructure
- Environment consistency across development testing and production
- Loosely coupled infrastructure, where each component can act as a separate unit
- Higher density of resource utilization
- Predictable infrastructure which is going to be created
One of the key components of Kubernetes is, it can run application on clusters of physical and virtual machine infrastructure. It also has the capability to run applications on cloud. It helps in moving from host-centric infrastructure to container-centric infrastructure.