In advance of each session, Tech Training will provide you with a Zoom link to your class, along with any required class materials.
This class focuses on helping executives, entrepreneurs, and developers to build a foundational understanding of Blockchain, its implications, and its potential use-cases across various industries.
Blockchain technology is disrupting the way we conduct business as well as the foundations of our economic and social systems. According to IBM, “Mass adoption isn’t far behind with roughly 65 percent of banks expecting to have Blockchain solutions in the next three years.” Furthermore, McKinsey has identified trade finance, cross-border B2B payments, cross-border P2P payments, repurchase agreement transactions, OTC derivatives, KYC/AML management, and identity fraud as seven bona fide use cases in which Blockchain can generate $80B – $110B in impact by 2021. With industry giants like Walmart, Microsoft, and Huawei all actively utilizing Blockchain technology to streamline processes and improve bottom lines, future-focused individuals must work to understand how it will affect their industry and how they can use it to flourish.
Using an engaging mix of resources, you’ll be guided to explore the effects of Blockchain technology on market power in digital platforms, privacy, and trust. The program looks toward the future of Blockchain technology, exploring its longer-term implications for business and its relationship with other emerging technologies, including AI and IoT. You’ll be offered the opportunity to apply your learnings to your own context, walking away with a proposal for a Blockchain-based solution to a problem within your current or future organization.
During this course, you will have the opportunity to:
- Dissect a Blockchain down to its foundational building blocks and understand how & when they should be implemented over a centralized solution
- Understand the basic legal frameworks that exist in the Blockchain space and how they affect the tech
- Identify and qualify new potential use-cases for Blockchain technology across a wide variety of industries
- Develop critical problem-solving skills needed to analyze solutions in a decentralized environment
- Gain a deep understanding of Blockchain variations, current flaws in the tech, and opportunities for innovation
- Conceptualize and develop a use-case in your industry
- Course Introduction
- Blockchain technology, its potential and design
- Bitcoin, Ethereum, and other Blockchain protocols
- Tokens and tokenomics
- Consensus algorithms
- Legal frameworks and regulations in the Blockchain space
- Types of blockchains: Public Vs. private, permissioned Vs. Permissionless
- Smart contracts
- Blockchain use cases (Identity, Process Management, Supply Chain, IoT, Public Sector, etc.)
- ICOs Vs. IPOs Vs. STOs: understand the different currency offerings and legalities behind them
- Activity 1: Blockchain Use-Case Analysis: Brainstorm applications for your industry, determine the pros and cons of utilizing Blockchain technology versus traditional solutions.
- References and next steps
University IT Technology Training classes are only available to Stanford University staff, faculty, or students. A valid SUNet ID is needed in order to enroll in a class.